top of page
  • Natasha J. Thomas, MD

April 29th through May 3rd is Maternal Mental Health Awareness Week 2019

Updated: May 12, 2021

Did you know that maternal mental health issues like postpartum depression are the most common birth complications in the United States? Every year, over 600,000 women experience the onset (or worsening) of depression during pregnancy or after childbirth. Approximately the same number experience birth-related anxiety. But problems don't occur only after birth. Many women experience changes in their mood, panic and intrusive worry during pregnancy. When this occurs and is severe enough to impair functioning, they are called perinatal mood and anxiety disorders. These disorders are defined as changes in mood and onset of anxiety that occurs at any time during pregnancy - and up to one year after delivery.

April 29th through May 3rd is Maternal Mental Health Awareness Week. This year Hope Grove Psychiatry is partnering with TheBlueDotProject to bring more attention to the issue of perinatal mood and anxiety disorders, and to eradicate the stigma and shame that prevent women and families from seeking help. Only 15% of the hundreds of thousands of women impacted by peripartum depression, anxiety, PTSD, generalized anxiety, OCD, panic attacks and psychosis seek treatment. The other 85% are needlessly struggling today. If moms struggle, so do babies and the rest of their family.

If you have a story to share of how you overcame mental health challenges in pregnancy or after childbirth, please share to your social media pages and use the hashtags:


Read on for resources and information on how you can get involved.

Did you know....

  • There are more new cases of mothers suffering from maternal depression each year than women diagnosed with breast cancer.

  • Women in their childbearing years account for the largest group with depression in the U.S.



Postpartum Support International is a nonprofit focused on provider training and supporting mothers and families through the emotional changes that women experience during pregnancy and the postpartum period.

The Postpartum Stress Center LLC was established to provide better understanding of the range of prenatal and postpartum mood and anxiety disorders and comprehensive clinical intervention for any woman who suffers from these disorders. The center’s objective is to provide support and treatment for the pregnant or postpartum woman and her family as well as guidance for her treating physician or therapist.

2020 Mom is a national nonprofit focused on closing gaps in the maternal mental health care system through policy and systems change. Moms and those who support them looking to effect change can become 2020 Mom Ambassadors.

Visit TheBlueDotProject today!

53 views0 comments
bottom of page